Friday, April 18, 2008

Frost , Wordsworth and Mr. Britto

I apologize to every literature lover for any misrepresentations in this post.

Stopping by woods on a snowy evening

Whose woods these are I think I know,
His house is in the village though.
He will not see me stopping here,
To watch his woods fill up with snow.

My little horse must think it queer,
To stop without a farmhouse near,
Between the woods and frozen lake,
The darkest evening of the year.

He gives his harness bells a shake,
To ask if there is some mistake.
The only other sound's the sweep,
Of easy wind and downy flake.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

-- Robert Frost


I could not resist my temptation to quote these words of Robert Frost.(PS-> this has nothing to do with snow in Redmond today) These are not just one of his best words but these invoke pleasant memories in me. I still remember my english teacher Mr.John Britto reciting these words to us enjoying every word while doing it. He was one of the best teachers i have had who taught me how to dream.

I always loved to dream -( not the ambitious types :-) ). i always liked to dream while reading a book or listening to music. i loose myself into a fantasy world where i'd be a great singer, a poet walking along fields (Solitary Reaper). or a romanticist admiring a flower (Daffodils)....

i still remember the day when Mr.Britto introduced us to Solitary Reaper.. i was in the last bench that day and it was post lunch session. i could not resist myself delving into dream world.. i imagined myself walking with a bowler's hat looking at a lone reaper having a lone corn stalk in hand and nibbling its end. It was like a magic. i was in this wonder world with Mr.Britto's words building the world before my "inward eye".. it was quite a pschedelic experience.. (ps-> i had curd rice if u must know :-) )

My dream world was suddenly disturbed when Mr.Britto notied my glazed looks. he asked me what i was doing. i stood up and confessed my dream. i expected to be punished but instead told me that it is good for creativity. but told me to concentrate in his words and then dream about later in the day.. i was embarrassed but was also amused at the encouragement. i have not stopped dreaming from then on.

Do try this next time you are stuck in an airport with a delayed flight or in a long bus journey with no friendly travel mate.. they really refresh your soul and bring in a new zest for life..

3 comments:

Sunil Prasad M said...

Point taken ... But I will hold you responsible for all flights I miss and all traffic lights I jump ;-)

Syed Siddique Sharaf said...

Nice ... really nice

Syed Siddique Sharaf said...

that too is one of my favorite poems